2017 has been a great thus far. Finished a round of RED 8K Sensor Tests available on YouTube. Also picked up a set of Tokina Cinema Vista Primes for use on my RED Weapon Dragon 8K VV, all T1.5. They are indeed very nice. Also finished a quick round of cinematography workshops with RED and Zeiss in Boston and New York as well as cinema lens workshop over at B&H. What's up next? First up an aerial shoot that will take me out of town for a bit of February, then working diligently on a couple of short form projects and one bigger beast that should be beautiful. Exciting times. If you find yourself browsing the February American Cinematographer Magazine, I'm looking stable after 12 hours of filming.
The Short Story
Phil Holland is a Director, Director of Photography, and Photographer based out of Los Angeles, California and has shot exclusively in the 4K and 4K+ arena for several years. He primarily works in the world of Feature Films, Commercials, UHD Broadcast, and VFX heavy productions. Phil is focused on cutting edge cinema technology and creating compelling images. Prior to becoming a full time Cinematographer Phil worked at Rhythm and Hues Studios from 1999-2010 as their Digital Imaging Specialist; a job he created that focused on Photography, Cinematography, Digital Color, Film Scanning, Laser Recording, and other more creative aspects of production for various films and studios.
Phil also contributes to the Motion Picture Industry in furthering the advancement of technology and contributing to the education of aspiring industry professionals. Currently he instructs the "Digital Imaging for Live Action Visual Effects and Games" course at The Gnomon School of Visual Effects on Sundays. He also occasionally instructs at REDucation and slightly more intermediate international RED Camera Workshops. In 2015 Phil wrote and released the RED DSMC Field Operations Guide, a practical guide to working with RED cameras. Over the years Phil has instructed Quick Sketching and Character Design at various Gnomon, ConceptArt.Org, and Massive Black workshops as well.
Universal, Warner Brothers, 20th Century Fox, Paramount, Sony Pictures, Disney, Dreamworks, Lionsgate Films, New Line, Discovery, SciFi, NBC, Activision, EA, THQ, Marvel, DC, Walden Media, Gentle Giant Studios, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Mercedes, Logan Media, ILM, Double Negative, Digital Domain, Rogue Studios, Massive Black, Tao Films, Rhythm and Hues Studios
Notable Visual Effects Accomplishments:
- Contributed to several Academy Award Winning and Nominated Films (Narnia, Golden Compass, Life of Pi)
- Created and programmed unique tools to automate Scanning and Recording of Motion Picture Film.
- Developed software, pipeline, and performed Digital Color Correction and Grading.
- Developed Cross Polarized Texture Photography pipeline and standards
- Created and programmed "PanOrganizer" rigs and software used for on set HDRI capture for image based lighting.
- Best Cinematography "Illusion" - Beverly Hills Film Festival 2013
- Best Cinematography "Addicted" - Los Angeles Cinema Festival of Hollywood 2013
Notable Educational Efforts:
- 2004-2013: Various National and International ConceptArt.org Workshops - Sketching, Character Design, Motivational Speaker
- 2010-2015: Instructor, The Gnomon School of Visual Effects - "Digital Imaging for Live Action, VFX, and Video Games"
- 2014: Instructor, REDucation Summer '14 + Shoot, Direct, Post
- 2014: Instructor, Advanced RED Camera Workshop - South Korea
- 2014: Instructor, Advanced RED Camera Workshop - Tokyo
- 2016: Instructor, RED/FilmGate Cinematography Masterclass - Miami, Florida