Busy times indeed. Wrapped Directing and DPing in Qatar in April and also wrapped on a short film I Produced, Directed, and DP'd as well. Attended and spoke at NAB this year. Was honored to be on panels with James Neihouse, ASC as well as Steven Poster, ASC. And more moved that they enjoyed my work for the last few years. Lot's of new lenses coming this year. Zeiss, Tokina, Sigma, Cooke, Leica, etc.... I'll be in LA likely through June, very light production schedule during that time to finish the move and develop some stories, but open to shoots for sure.
The Short Story
Phil Holland is a Director, Director of Photography, and Photographer based out of Los Angeles, California and has shot exclusively in the 4K and 4K+ arena for several years. He primarily works in the world of Feature Films, Commercials, UHD Broadcast, and VFX heavy productions. Phil is focused on cutting edge cinema technology and creating compelling images. Prior to becoming a full time Cinematographer Phil worked at Rhythm and Hues Studios from 1999-2010 as their Digital Imaging Specialist; a job he created that focused on Photography, Cinematography, Digital Color, Film Scanning, Laser Recording, and other more creative aspects of production for various films and studios.
Phil also contributes to the Motion Picture Industry in furthering the advancement of technology and contributing to the education of aspiring industry professionals. Currently he instructs the "Digital Imaging for Live Action Visual Effects and Games" course at The Gnomon School of Visual Effects on Sundays. He also occasionally instructs at REDucation and slightly more intermediate international RED Camera Workshops. In 2015 Phil wrote and released the RED DSMC Field Operations Guide, a practical guide to working with RED cameras. Over the years Phil has instructed Quick Sketching and Character Design at various Gnomon, ConceptArt.Org, and Massive Black workshops as well.
Universal, Warner Brothers, 20th Century Fox, Paramount, Sony Pictures, Disney, Dreamworks, Lionsgate Films, New Line, Discovery, SciFi, NBC, Activision, EA, THQ, Marvel, DC, Walden Media, Gentle Giant Studios, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Mercedes, Logan Media, ILM, Double Negative, Digital Domain, Rogue Studios, Massive Black, Tao Films, Rhythm and Hues Studios
Notable Visual Effects Accomplishments:
- Contributed to several Academy Award Winning and Nominated Films (Narnia, Golden Compass, Life of Pi)
- Created and programmed unique tools to automate Scanning and Recording of Motion Picture Film.
- Developed software, pipeline, and performed Digital Color Correction and Grading.
- Developed Cross Polarized Texture Photography pipeline and standards
- Created and programmed "PanOrganizer" rigs and software used for on set HDRI capture for image based lighting.
- Best Cinematography "Illusion" - Beverly Hills Film Festival 2013
- Best Cinematography "Addicted" - Los Angeles Cinema Festival of Hollywood 2013
Notable Educational Efforts:
- 2004-2013: Various National and International ConceptArt.org Workshops - Sketching, Character Design, Motivational Speaker
- 2010-2015: Instructor, The Gnomon School of Visual Effects - "Digital Imaging for Live Action, VFX, and Video Games"
- 2014: Instructor, REDucation Summer '14 + Shoot, Direct, Post
- 2014: Instructor, Advanced RED Camera Workshop - South Korea
- 2014: Instructor, Advanced RED Camera Workshop - Tokyo
- 2016: Instructor, RED/FilmGate Cinematography Masterclass - Miami, Florida